[mythtv-users] AM2 Motherboard with PCI slots galore

Michael Heironimus mkh01 at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 16 01:48:39 UTC 2008

On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 07:54:45AM -0700, Brian Wood wrote:
> I just hate to see the space wasted on these little slots on modern
> motherboards. That goes double for the second x16 slot, I doubt that
> many Myth users will want to go SLI or Crossfire, so that is just wasted
> space as well.

In theory, you should be able to plug any PCI Express device (like a
RAID controller) in to that second x16 slot if you disable SLI. In
practice, I've heard that a lot of boards have problems with it today.
It's probably sloppiness in the chipset or BIOS and it's reasonable to
think that it will start to get better over the next few product release
cycles. Then again, it might not, even though it could simplify their
product lines if it worked properly.

Motherboard and chipset manufacturers seem to have been much quicker to
adopt PCI Express than peripheral vendors. ExpressCard (the successor to
PC Card/PCMCIA) is in even worse shape, people don't know it exists
until they ask why their flash media readers and wireless broadband
cards won't work in their shiny new notebooks.

--
Michael Heironimus