[mythtv-users] OT: HD and sports

Jerome Yuzyk jerome at supernet.ab.ca
Sun Feb 17 01:19:43 UTC 2008

I have read a lot of Myth stuff about HD, and I know what it is, and recently
had the local phone company try to sell me on their HD-over-telephone
package. My Myth SD setup works pretty darn well and it has certainly changed
the way I watch television, and the amount - upwards, because of the control
I have over my viewing repertoire.

I've only ever looked at HD sets in one store, so maybe I'm just being lazy
asking the list but it's Saturday, quiet, and maybe a few others that know
are working.

I can appreciate the extra resolution for crisper pictures, but what I really
want in HD is the extra screen real-estate for sports, so I can see more of
the field/rink. I can already see the puck/ball, and whether the player has
shaved before the game - what I really want to see is the whole football
formation in motion, for example, so I can see the play develop. I want to
see both ends of the ice during hockey so that my eye can follow the puck and
play and not have to rely on a cameraman keeping a tight frame on the
immediate location of play and then jerking around trying to follow it. Do
any HD sports stations do that? Or is all of HD sports just crisper pictures
and the same camera-work as SD, needing replays to show action on the
field/rink that the main play cameras exclude?