[mythtv-users] What happens if multiple frontends want to record same programme?

John Veness John.Veness.myth at pelago.org.uk
Sun Feb 17 21:47:35 UTC 2008

nospam312 wrote:
>> Its best to rely on auto-expire instead of manually deleting. this way if
>> some one doesnt get to a recording before its deleted its no ones fault but
>> the system.  If that is unexceptable to the user have them give more $$ for
>> more harddrive space :)
>
> Is there any workarounds/hacks that allow MythTV to be a bit more
> multiuser friendly for my situation?  Auto-expire will not really
> work.  I was hoping for each user to have their own Watch Recordings
> list and ideally not require duplicate recordings on disk? e.g. the
> backend keeps track of number copy and only deletes the file when the
> counter drops to 0?
>
> TIA

There's nothing as yet. What I've setup with my wife is three Recording
Groups, Both, John, and MyWifesName. Anything that only I want to watch
is in my group, anything that only she wants to watch is in her name. We
know that when we've watched things in these groups that the other
person doesn't want to watch them and thus they are safe to delete.
Anything that we would both want to see is in the Both group, and we
usually both watch the show at the same time, but if we watched them
separately we would know to check with the other person before deleting.

This works ok with two people, but may not scale well to larger groups,
and not work as well if people generally don't watch TV together, as
they will have to keep checking with each other whether it is safe to
delete. It also means that we can't easily choose to watch something via
'genre' (film, game show etc.). Well, we can choose to watch something
via that route, but then we won't know which Recording Group it was in
and therefore whether it's safe to delete afterwards.

Cheers,

John

--
John Veness, MythTV user, UK, DVB-T