[mythtv-users] AppleTV with Linux

Scott D. Davilla davilla at 4pi.com
Mon Feb 18 17:16:45 UTC 2008

>Would mplayer play 720p H.264 files?

not sure, give me a link to a test file and I can check.

>The HDMI audio out does not seem to work. This is a bit of a show
>stopper for me - switching audio between my TV and myth box already
>frustrates me no end. Is there any progress with this?

none as yet, hdmi audio support is just starting up in alsa so it's
still too soon to tell if these efforts can be applied to the appletv
hdmi chipset.

>Is the USB port functional? I think I might hook up my MCE remote to
>replace the useless Apple remote. From what I can gather, the IR port
>on the Apple TV is crippled to just allow the Apple remote.

100 percent functional.

I would not call IR crippled, just over managed. The IR port is
actually an full blown IR port controller sitting on the internal USB
bus and you only get high level key events. Access to the low level
IR is not possible at the current time. Also you do get 2X the number
of buttons as holding a button down generates a different IR code. If
goes work fine for 80 percent of the cases I need for manipulation.
The other 20 percent is when I need a real keyboard.