[mythtv-users] Quick-boot linux?

Miroslav Suchý miroslav at suchy.cz
Mon Feb 18 21:01:04 UTC 2008

Brian Wood napsal(a):
> Miroslav Suchý wrote:
>> Brian Wood napsal(a):
>>> A "hybrid" drive would speed things up, but not that much.
>>
>> Hybrid drive give you nothing during booting (it can later). But you
>> can get maybe 10+ sec., if you boot from usb flash disc.
 >
> I was under the impression that at least some hybrid drives had
> non-volatile memory, but I could well be wrong.

Yes. But the memory is used to cache data during normal use. And unless
you boot every 10 minutes, data used during boot up are threw away from
cache in aprox. first hour. During boot up sequence you mainly need:
kernel image, init scripts, daemonds binary. And this files are usually
left untouched since booting. So during booting you will have useless
data in drive cache.
But I have none hybrid drive, and this is my quess backed up my 12 years
exp.

--
                                         ,,,
                                        (o o)
  )               mailto:miroslav at suchy.cz
(   ICQ: #70802630 tel:+420-603-775737 skype:MiroslavSuchy
  )echo
'[q]sa[ln0=aln256%Pln256/snlbx]sb3135071790101768542287578439snlbxq'|dc
                                  .oooO   (   )
                                    \_)