[mythtv-users] HDHomeRun Setup

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Tue Feb 19 22:12:48 UTC 2008

On Feb 19, 2008, at 2:03 PM, Richard Shaw wrote:

> I would like to get some feedback from those of you who have one of
> these. I just ordered mine and was thinking how I was going to set
> it up. I'm going to try a FE/BE in one system so I'll probably
> install the HDHomeRun box in my data closet, however, if I decide I
> need to go with a separate BE/FE arrangement could I have bandwidth
> issues? In the latter setup the  BE would be receiving data from the
> HDHomeRun and sending data to the FE. Now my system is 100Mbit full
> duplex but I'd like to know if anyone has had any networking issues
> with their setup.
>
> I could put a second network card in my Myth box to effectivley put
> the HD Homerun on a separate network, but this would probably be
> overkill and it would make it more difficult for other computers to
> use it as a tuner.
>
> Thanks,
> Richard

I had issues when I was recording 2 programs, commflagging 1 and
playing it back all over 100BaseT (slave backend recording which adds
some MySQL traffic to the network as well). I don't know what else was
happening on my network at the time, but likely several machines
surfing the internet including a possible WOW game in progress. Since
then I moved all my myth machines to their own gigabit switch (along
with a NAS device). I still have issues once in a while if I'm
recording a 2-3 of HD streams (I also have a pcHDTV-5500) to the NAS
box, commflagging one and watching that one at the same time, but if I
take the NAS box out of the equation (record to my backend's local
drive) it seems ok.

-Brad