[mythtv-users] HDHomeRun Setup

William Munson w.munson at comcast.net
Wed Feb 20 11:06:40 UTC 2008

Richard Shaw wrote:
> I would like to get some feedback from those of you who have one of
> these. I just ordered mine and was thinking how I was going to set it
> up. I'm going to try a FE/BE in one system so I'll probably install
> the HDHomeRun box in my data closet, however, if I decide I need to go
> with a separate BE/FE arrangement could I have bandwidth issues? In
> the latter setup the  BE would be receiving data from the HDHomeRun
> and sending data to the FE. Now my system is 100Mbit full duplex but
> I'd like to know if anyone has had any networking issues with their setup.
>
> I could put a second network card in my Myth box to effectivley put
> the HD Homerun on a separate network, but this would probably be
> overkill and it would make it more difficult for other computers to
> use it as a tuner.
>
> Thanks,
> Richard
As others have stated you can run into traffic issues on a 100 mbit
which I solved by placing my myth boxes and the hdhr on a dedicated 8
port switch which i then connected to my main switch with a single
100mbit connection to allow the family to use mythweb to schedule
recordings and to view stuff with vlc. This keeps the myth traffic away
from the general traffic on the network which is often congested with
download traffic.