[mythtv-users] Installing latest xmltv/tv_grab_uk_rt in [Myth]Ubuntu 7.10?

John Veness John.Veness.myth at pelago.org.uk
Wed Feb 20 21:28:12 UTC 2008

nospam312 wrote:
>> Possibly.  Although go through the software sources menu and turn on
>> 'backports' and universe.  It opens up a great deal of
>> unsupported/new/unstable/broken (delete as applicable, the word "broken"
>> is entirely subjective) packages for you to play with.
>> Debuntu is also a  handy site to poke at for somethings.
>
> Thanks I have universe and backports active and it is not detecting a
> new XMLTV release.  I guess I am going to have to wait for 8.04 to be
> released or see if I can get it to compile.

Debian usually makes a new xmltv package is sync with releases, which
will usually work on Ubuntu. For example, here are my instructions for
getting 0.5.50 working on Ubuntu 7.04 (I haven't tried 0.5.51 yet).

Visit http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages and search for xmltv-util
packages in any distribution. Find the latest version and click the link
to download, or copy into a command-line for wget. Do same for
libxmltv-perl. E.g.
wget
http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/main/x/xmltv/libxmltv-perl_0.5.50-1_all.deb
wget
http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/main/x/xmltv/xmltv-util_0.5.50-1_all.deb
Also need to get a dummy libtext-bidi-perl package (cannot get real one
as it needs other dependecies which cannot satisfy, and real package
only needed for tv_grab_il).
wget
http://www.crustynet.org.uk/~chrisb/debian/dummy-libtext-bidi-perl_1.0_all.deb
sudo dpkg -i dummy-libtext-bidi-perl_1.0_all.deb
sudo apt-get install libfile-slurp-perl
sudo dpkg -i libxmltv-perl_0.5.50-1_all.deb
sudo dpkg -i xmltv-util_0.5.50-1_all.deb

Note that the libfile-slurp-perl is a pre-requisite for xmltv, and there
might be other pre-requisites too that I've missed out.

It would be great if there was a simple repository we Ubuntu users could
add to get the latest xmltv just with apt-get.

Cheers,

John

--
John Veness, MythTV user, UK, DVB-T