[mythtv-users] [mythtv] Mythtv and HomeAutomation

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Thu Feb 21 00:24:11 UTC 2008

Note: I'm just replying on the user list, because A) I'm not sure this
is a developer topic, and B) I know some people on some forums find
cross posting really offensive. :-)

> HVAC (8 zones)

What exactly are you automating with this and how does it work?
Presumably, you are interfacing with some type of programmable
thermostat, right? If your server went down completely, the system
would continue to operate on it's own without intervention, right?
Otherwise, I'd hate to think of the damage that could occur if the
system failed while you were away for a cold weekend (might not be an
issue for your climate, but it is for mine).

When you say 8 zones, I take that to mean you have motorized dampers
that cut off heat to various rooms during times they aren't likely to
be used. Correct?

Also, I'm curious...what do you do with the doorbell and mailbox? Do
you have a mercury switch on the mailbox lid to let you know when it's
opened? Does the doorbell page you? Snap a photo from a camera
security camera and email it to you? Do you have an intercom on the
porch that you can do a voip thing from the office to talk to the
person, to give them the impression that someone is home.

I'm always fascinated to find out what sort of stuff people do with this.

--
Ron