[mythtv-users] Encoding to h264 to save space

Chris Isip cmisipster at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 12:07:00 UTC 2008

On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 5:21 PM, David Brodbeck <gull at gull.us> wrote:

> On Feb 20, 2008, at 1:56 AM, Phill Edwards wrote:
> > Also, one of the posters mentioned they were getting down to 400MB per
> > 30 mins. Using the in-built transcoder (Autodetect from MPEG2 -->
> > MPEG4) I'm getting approx 550MB per 30 minutes, so it doesn't sound
> > like an enormous saving to go to all this trouble to get h264 - are
> > there other benefits of this aside from the space savings?
>
> For stuff I really care about I like to use an external two-pass
> transcoder.  I feel the quality is a little better than using the
> built-in one-pass transcoder, but at the cost of less convenience.

I have found out a few things: mythcommflag will not work if you are not in
the current directory of the recordings when you run the script; "Seek to
exact frame" helps the distortion issue but does not completely eliminate
it.

Also, I have been trying to setup my dual core machine to do this, but
ffmpeg segfaults.  It is a Centos 5.1 machine.  It works fine on my
hyperthreaded cpu machine.   Is anyone able to use the latest ffmpeg to
encode to h264? What ffmpeg versions are you guys using for h264?

I tried to compile the version from my FC5 machine to run on the centos
machine and it gives me monotone errors when I run it
ffmpeg-0.4.9-23_r8743.fc5in Centos.  Works fine in FC5.

This version works in FC5 :
ffmpeg-0.4.9-23_r8743.fc5

Thanks
Chris