[mythtv-users] TV out size

Steve Smith st3v3.sm1th at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 15:29:37 UTC 2008

On 21/02/2008, David Watkins <watkinshome at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Michael,
> >
> > Seeing as you are in Europe, your best bet for the BEST quality picture
> is
> > going to be a RGB to SCART lead.
>
> What exactly do you mean?  I ask because I'm starting to look for a
> new TV and most manufacturs list a SCART input; but as far as I can
> tell a SCART input could be composite, RGB, SVideo or any combination
> of the three, and they often don't elaborate on the details.
>
> Has SCART become a synonym for RGB?

SCART is just a connector. It allows:
    Composite Video and RGB connection    OR
    Composite Video and S-Video connection..      (There are two sorts of
connections TVs often have one of each, otherwise it's usually the
CompositeVideo+RGB type).

You can build a very simple converter circuit that takes the VGA signal from
your motherboard and allows you to feed it into the SCART connector as RGB.
This is MUCH better quality than composite video.

Pretty much all decent TVs sold in europe will have SCART (RGB) connections
available and most DVD players will be able to output RGB signals.

Look in the  wiki for details....

Cheers

Steve