[mythtv-users] SVN removal howto

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Thu Feb 21 16:08:26 UTC 2008

On Feb 21, 2008, at 7:48 AM, Josh White wrote:

> If you read it again, my question is far from impossible to answer.
>
> Someone who has seen the transition from .17 to .18, .18 to .19, .19
> to .20...could conceivably have a better idea of when they started
> hearing "it's close" on the discussion group to "it's here" based on
> how the transitions from the last major versions to the next went.
>
> I'm certainly not looking for someone to base their careers or lives
> on how accurate their guess is, but the general order of magnitude
> of the time till release shouldn't be out of the question for
> someone with more historical knowledge.  I'm a bit of a Linux noob
> and I can't code to save my life (compiling anything from source is
> still a challenge for me).
>
> I've been involved with Myth for about 4 months now.  Someone more
> knowledgeable would have stronger historical basis, and that's
> probably someone who's been involved with this discussion group
> longer than I, and from all that they'd be able to generate a better
> guess than I would. It's someone like that who I'm asking.  If you
> know nothing more than that, please simply ignore the post and wait
> for someone qualified to answer, rather than telling me its
> impossible.
>
> I didn't ask for lottery numbers.
>
> From my background, I feel confident in saying will be out somewhere
> between 1 day to 1 year from now.  I expect someone more
> knowledgeable can do better.  If you ask a stock broker whether a
> stock is at its peak, they can say "I don't think so" or "I think it
> will be in the next few weeks" or "I think it peaked last month."
> Of course, it's impossible to say with 100% certainty, but I thinks
> it's a decent analogy.  Sure, the broker could tell someone to
> "download the historical data and make your own guess," but that
> would be a waste of the work the stock broker already did.  As you
> said, this is an OSS project.   The idea is to share knowledge and
> not to reinvent the wheel.  I could start learning how to program
> and come out with my on PVR software package, but that would be silly.
>
> The reason I ask is I plan to do some setup changes and I'd rather
> wait till the next release to do that.  If it's a matter of days or
> weeks, I'll hold off.  If it's a matter of months, I'll go ahead and
> make my changes now.  I'm not trying to be impatient, and I'm not
> suggesting it's taking too long.  I'm simply asking for some
> guidance from the more experienced people in the community.
>
> So does anyone feel confident enough to venture a guess?

The problem with guessing is that you set expectations.

This statement last December:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/304388
turned into an "announcement" here:
http://mythtvnews.com/2007/12/09/mythtv-021-will-be-released-in-february-2008/

Neither are accurate in my opinion, but there is your guess.

Google is pretty good and finding stuff like that.