[mythtv-users] Is 4GB RAM overkill for mythtv?

greg at nodecam.com greg at nodecam.com
Thu Feb 21 20:35:30 UTC 2008

> Would mythtv use all of the RAM?  Would more RAM speed up re-encoding of
> programs?  Would more RAM be beneficial to commercial flagging?
>
> From a quick search of the forums, it looks like most people have less
> than
> 2GB RAM.  Any feedback is appreciated.

I have 1GB of RAM, and I'm doing Myth as well as personal mail and
webserver tasks on it, and I do not swap.  (Ok, I lied, after 21 days of
uptime, I see that I'm currently using about 11 Mb of swap)

I really can't see 4GB doing you much good - and I'm a guy that has always
advocated for more ram before any other PC upgrade.

That said, you could probably set up a ramdisk for transcoding type tasks
and it would likely speed things up significantly.

* NB - I'm no internals expert, so it could be that you will benefit from
it in some way unknown to me.

Greg