[mythtv-users] service mythbackend start fails - HOME env variable

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Feb 22 17:25:51 UTC 2008

On 02/22/2008 11:46 AM, Fredrik Hallgarde wrote:
> Mike LaPlante skrev:
>
>> Calvin Dodge wrote:
>>> I used to edit that init.d script to explicitly set HOME, but it got
>>> wiped out by every mythtv upgrade.
>> So this has been a problem for you in the past? I have never seen this
>> issue until I did an upgrade yesterday. I run the bleeding repo from AT
>> so the update was to version 16131. However, I don't remember which
>> revision I was on previously, it had been a while since I updated.

Myth used to allow users to run with a broken configuration.  It doesn't
any longer.  A lot of people were experiencing problems on a "properly
configured" system (they assumed it was properly configured because "it
mostly worked") that would have been avoided had they started Myth with
an appropriate environment.  So, rather than let Myth run in an
environment where some things will appear to work, but other things
can't possibly work, we're now refusing to run in a broken config.

> I have seen this issue as part of MythDora 4.0 with regards to
> mythfilldatabase which needs to build the path to the xmltv grabber files.
>
> Is this something that needs to be fixed prior to next stable release?

Nope.

> What is the appropriate fix?

The current behavior.

> A fix that is allowing for customization of user running the backend and
> avoids hardcoding things into the init.d script or requiring changes to it.

As Marko said, you need a proper init_script.  Anduin Withers and Nick
Morrott spent quite a bit of time working on the new init script for
Fedora, so try it out, and I think it will solve your issues.

Mike