[mythtv-users] HDHomerun signal strength required

Roger Heflin rogerheflin at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 21:40:57 UTC 2008

Craig Treleaven wrote:
> At 1:03 PM -0500 2/22/08, backuppc at sundquist.imapmail.org wrote:
>> I guess I'll be crawling around in my attic with my wireless laptop
>> ssh-ed into my mythtv box checking signals and see what I can get just
>> rotating the two antennae currently on the same mast.  If nothing
>> works reliably, I may have to break down and try Craig's suggesion and
>> put a 4221 or 4228 on the roof this summer and see if the back-side
>> approach works.
>
> Any chance you can still return the Radio Shack antennas?  If not, I'd try connecting one and see if it will receive enough out the back to get the channels you want.
>
> SiliconDust provides a utility to work with the HDHomeRun that can help for testing reception.  Do a full channel scan on one of the tuners, which will take several minutes, with:
>
> hdhomerun_config FFFFFFFF scan /tuner0 scan0.txt
>
> Focus on the bits of interest with:
>
> grep -B1 -A1 '8vsb' scan0.txt
>
> Pick a channel that you want to optimize for and check your reception:
>
> hdhomerun_config FFFFFFFF set /tuner0/channel 8vsb:<channel/Hz>
>
> hdhomerun_config FFFFFFFF get /tuner0/status
>
> Keep checking the status as you aim the antenna...
>
> Craig

If you were desperate enough, you could get one (or more) of these
and maybe get the channel changer to set it properly for each
channel, that would allow each channel to use the optimal antenna,
it would also require one of the "devices" for each input you wanted
to feed that way.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2049643&cp=&sr=1&origkw=antenna+switch&kw=antenna+switch&parentPage=search

On mine I checked the numbers I get combined and they are slightly
lower than best of either of the antenna's, but I only have a problem getting
one digital channel, and that should be pretty easy to fix since it is
a VHF channel so it easy to amplify separately without overamping the up rest
of the UHF channels.    And I am only losing it when the weather is
really really bad.

                                  Roger