[mythtv-users] RANT: MythTV has a *horrible* end user experience.

Matt Emmott memmott at gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 19:03:07 UTC 2008

Yes, the end user experience isn't good. Yes, it's inconsistent. I have 4
XBMC-based Xboxes in my apartment building that my (very) non-technical
neighbors use to stream movies and music from a central server, and in its
current iteration I wouldn't think about giving them Myth frontends for
anything other than basic tv watching.

But, look at it this way. It's currently at version 0.20.2. That's quite far
off from version 1.0. It runs on a huge variety of hardware, from Intel to
AMD to NVidia to ATI to Hauppauge to set top boxes over firewire. Each piece
of Myth is more or less a different project - Mythvideo, Mythmusic, etc etc.
It's a HUGE product that does a lot of different things on different
platforms. And it's constantly evoloving and keeping up with the latest
standards... Sd, HD, H.264, what have you.

I hate Mythmusic. I hate Mythvideo. I love XBMC for those purposes. But this
is not a commercial product, it's a huge open source project. It's coming
together a bit slowly, sure, but it is coming together. Look at how fast
SchedulesDirect was integrated into Myth when Zap2It went bye bye. As other
posters have said, if you don't like it you can change it - That's the joy
of open source. I'm no programmer but I like to help out where I can,
because I know that one day this product WILL be something I could hand to
my neighbors with little to no training. It's just not there yet. Patience
is a virtue, right? :-)