[mythtv-users] OT - Life without MythTV

Richard Woelk richardwoelk at yahoo.ca
Mon Feb 25 19:12:05 UTC 2008

steve wrote:

> Bill Omer wrote:
> |>  sounds like the lamp hours are maxxed, your lucky you got 4 years. most
> |>  are rated about 6k hours, about 8 hours a day on for 2 years.  Id try
> |>  replacing it, $300 bucks is alot cheaper than $3k for a new 56 incher.
> |

> | I thought if the lamp was bad, the set would still turn on but you
> | wouldn't get a picture.   Not true?
>
> not 100% sure, no tech here, but from the symptoms and length of time
> the bulb has on it, I would say Im fairly close.
>

> - --
> Steve Reilly

Bill,
    I did a quick search and found your TV model is a CRT rear
projection. There are no replaceable lamps like the DLP or LCD rear
projection. It is 3 picture tubes aligned with lenses
It sounds to me like your power supply or current sensing circuitry is
not working. Without a service manual it would be very difficult to fix.

if you're looking at a new tv, I would recommend LED based DLP rear
projection, they are rated at 20,000 hours life.
My 61" Samsung does full 1080p, is bright enough to watch in the day,
looks good showing standard def, and I can barely see any rainbows.

HTH
- Richard