[mythtv-users] mythmusic and multi-artist (COMPILATION_ARTIST) albums

Neale Pickett neale-myth at woozle.org
Mon Feb 25 19:19:08 UTC 2008

Hi dudes and dudettes.

I have a whole bunch of Ogg Vorbis files on my hard drive that were
grandfathered in to the Myth box.  I told it to scan for new music, and
it picked them all up, but my tree is artist/album and all the
multi-artist albums are predictably one song per artist.

I have discovered that mythmusic, when ripping to Ogg Vorbis, creates a
COMPILATION_ARTIST tag.  I tried setting this tag on my multi-artist .OGG
files and re-scanning, but nothing happened.

I went in with MySQL and fiddled a couple tables like so:

    UPDATE music_albums AS a, music_songs AS s
    SET a.compilation = 1
    WHERE a.album_id = s.album_id AND s.filename like "%arious%"

But This doesn't feel like the Right Thing, and for all I know, the next
scan will undo this.

What's the correct way to tag .OGG/.MP3 files with a compilation artist
and have mythmusic pick up on it?  "Through the GUI" is not an option
for me, it would take months of repetitive GUI navigation.

Thanks in advance,

Neale