[mythtv-users] OT - Life without MythTV

Anthony R. Baker baker at low-e.com
Mon Feb 25 21:49:24 UTC 2008

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Steve Hodge
  To: Discussion about mythtv
  Sent: Monday, February 25, 2008 4:21 PM
  Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] OT - Life without MythTV

  On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 9:30 AM, Bill Omer <bill.omer at gmail.com> wrote:

    On Mon, 2008-02-25 at 12:35 -0700, Brian Wood wrote:

    > You really should measure the high voltage after a flyback
    > replacement, but I suspect you do not have a voltmeter designed for
    > upwards of 20K volts.

    I've read 50kV.  Deadly ... easily.   By far not a safe project IMHO.

  Voltage is only part of the story and you can't draw any conclusions about the lethality of the situation without knowing the current involved. But I agree that safety is paramount and I wouldn't take something like this on without being extremely careful.

  Steve

    CRTs have the ability to act like a capacitor and store the charge when unplugged and rebuilds the charge after discharge if it has been subjected to high voltage for a long time though I've never known one not to rebuild some charge.