[mythtv-users] RANT: MythTV has a *horrible* end userexperience.

jedi at mishnet.org jedi at mishnet.org
Tue Feb 26 15:12:01 UTC 2008

> On 02/25/2008 10:40 AM, jedi at mishnet.org wrote:
>> Deletes seem more painful than they should be. They are unecessarily
>> slow
>
> With slow deletes enabled, it takes about 2min/GB on my system.  This
> works out to just the right speed for deletes.  However, I have a
> feeling you're trying to say, "The user interface seems slow when I
> delete a file."  If so, you'll be very pleasantly surprised by 0.21.

Quite right. I don't care how slow the actual deletes are. I just
don't want the frontend bogging down. A couple of deletes in a row
and it tends to hang for awhile. If I need to do a lot of cleanup
that's really annoying.

I tend to do my cleanup with mythweb for that very reason.

>>  and tend to crash the backend.

Well, this was easy enough to workaround so it didn't get
the attention it deserved. I've seen corporate production
servers have these kinds of problems so it didn't bother me
so much.

Although auto-installing some sort of keepalive script would
be a useful thing for the n00bs. Same goes for something that
will beef up the memory usage for mysql.

Although I imagine that some Ubuntu person already has this on his todo list.

I just did another frontend install with 7.10 and it was pretty
dang smooth. It was less of a pain than trying to deal with the
MacOS partitioner. Pretty soon, setting up MythTV will be less of
a bother than setting up a modern TV (which can be a bit of a
bother actually).

[deletia]