[mythtv-users] RANT: MythTV has a *horrible* end userexperience.

Matthew McClement mythtv at macker.co.uk
Tue Feb 26 16:05:08 UTC 2008

jedi at mishnet.org wrote:

>>> D (Yes.  I really meant to type only a single character.  That's the key
>>> you press to delete a single capture card.)

>>> You mean you physically removed the card from the system...
>
>     I removed the driver, not the card. I didn't want to generate
> a "maintenance outtage". My backend is now a production system at
> my house. '-)

Alternatively, you could just chmod the dvb driver tree out if you don't
want to bother starting up mythtv-setup.

chmod -R 000 /dev/dvb/adapter?

And a restart of mythbackend will result in the adapter disappearing.
This does assume that myth is running as a non-root user, I have no idea
how it'll behave as root. Restoring the permissions and a restart and
the tuner will be back, without have to re-setup any associations for it.

Admittedly, this isn't very user friendly but then if you're rmmod'ing
kernel modules you've pretty much gone way beyond what any normal user
would be doing.

However, I consider this behaviour somewhat more acceptable as it allows
for having transient tuners on a system(USB sticks, mobile backend, etc).

Matt