[mythtv-users] A different perspective on the "user experience issue"

jedi at mishnet.org jedi at mishnet.org
Tue Feb 26 20:15:12 UTC 2008

> On Feb 26, 2008, at 11:58 AM, Ben Firshman wrote:
>
>> On 26 Feb 2008, at 15:29, Doug Meredith wrote:
>>>
>> The frontend setup pages are for the frontend, mythtv-setup is for the
>> backend. I don't understand where the confusion is?
>
> Not always. Job queue stuff which runs on the backend is configured in
> the frontend's setup screens. Same thing with mythfilldatabase auto-
> run settings and logging events to the database. I can never remember
> where I'm supposed to go to adjust stuff. I just poke around all the
> setup screens until I stumble across what I'm trying to change. I'm
> sure there are other backend-specific settings sitting in the
> frontend's setup screens that I'm missing as well.

Everything should be in the frontend. Perhaps have a separate "tree"
with backend only stuff but have an entry point for everything. Also,
a "schedule to go into effect" would be a handy thing.

This way, the mythtv-setup changes could come into effect whenever you
tell the backend to restart itself.

Undoubtedly one of those low priority ideas that's way at the bottom
of the to do list...

As the lirc/ivtv stuff gets better and as the distros do better
packaging, there are bound to be less hard-core users installing
MythTV.

BTW... is anyone using appleir? It was setup out of the box on my
last mini install. I disabled it immediately because I use streamzaps.
I was curious if anyone else was using it.

[deletia]