[mythtv-users] A different perspective on the "user experience issue"

jedi at mishnet.org jedi at mishnet.org
Wed Feb 27 16:44:37 UTC 2008

> jedi at mishnet.org wrote:

>>> Not always. Job queue stuff which runs on the backend is configured in
>>> the frontend's setup screens. Same thing with mythfilldatabase auto-
>>> run settings and logging events to the database. I can never remember
>>> where I'm supposed to go to adjust stuff. I just poke around all the
>>> setup screens until I stumble across what I'm trying to change. I'm
>>> sure there are other backend-specific settings sitting in the
>>> frontend's setup screens that I'm missing as well.
>>
>> Everything should be in the frontend. Perhaps have a separate "tree"
>> with backend only stuff but have an entry point for everything. Also,
>> a "schedule to go into effect" would be a handy thing.
>>
> Good luck with that. The first thing that any front end tries to do when
> it
> starts up is to connect to the master backend. After, that is, you've set
> up
> it's IP address, of course.
>
> Each back end needs to have it's own setup where the tuner(s) it is
> responsible
> for are defined, and where any attached storage is defined (I am assuming
> that
> the developers only intend there to be one backend per box).
>
> If you are saying, let's start up mythtv-setup (or similar) on any random
> front
> end and then use that to set up (and tune!) some other backend somewhere
> else on
> the network, I think you will end up with unneeded levels of complexity we
> can
> all do without, thank you. It's difficult enough sometimes to get two

    Too late. The complexity already seems to be there.

    Connecting directly to a box that should be headless just so that
you can run the GUI to configure that box is silly and contrary to much
of what's being done generally as well as a lot of what's already being
done already in MythTV. Getting a remote X session setup is also possible
but a bit on the geeky side.

    If I want to alter a tuner, I am only interested in what the tuner
id is. I don't care which box it is connected to. I don't really need to.

    A lot of stuff should be defined more globally anyways. It doesn't
really make any sense for the frontend to default to something different
from what the other frontends have when it's already setup sufficiently
enough to get connected to the master backend.

> mythboxes
> to talk to one another as it is.

   It's actually pretty trivial.

   MySQL is the problem. (something else for the ubuntu boys to
automate better if they haven't already done so) It's network
access mechanisms are very novice unfriendly.