[mythtv-users] seeking video hardware recommendations

Richard Bronosky BrunosJunk at Bronosky.com
Thu Feb 28 01:48:31 UTC 2008

I'm very sad to hear that utilization of the gpu for video playback
has improved in 2.5 years.  I really look forward to the day when
desktop Linux is a strong competitor, but right now all the attention
seems to be going into Linux as a server.  Don't get me wrong.  I'm an
engineer and I make a very good living exclusively in OSS.  It's just
sad that I can do the impossible with a server in a data center that I
have never seen, but give it a GUI an put me in the same room with it
and I don't know what to do.

Also I guess I should have mentioned that I have no intention of doing
anything 3D, or workstation-ish with it.  It will only be a MythTV
frontend, and web browser.  (If the hardware were somehow incapable of
running microsoft products, that would please me.)  Unfortunately it
doesn't go without saying, I need DVI output.  I don't know why they
are still putting VGA ports on things.  With DVI (DVI-I) you are just
a cable away from being able to drive any display.

Thanks for the advice.  Even though you feel confident that playing
MPEG2 isn't a problem, I know that my old machine can't handle HD.
Also I hear that PCI video cards can't handle HD.  Not that I'd buy a
PCI video card.

.!# RichardBronosky #!.