[mythtv-users] Why do they put VGA on Mother Boards anymore?

Marvin Match match at ece.utah.edu
Thu Feb 28 22:18:45 UTC 2008

On 28 Feb 2008 at 14:34, Ronald Frazier wrote:

> >  But the fact remains that putting a
> >  VGA port on a mobo does not increase your market, it limits it.
>
> Interesting that facts are no longer based on reality. :-)
>
> I am a very tech savvy user, and I have to admit that this is the
> first I've heard of DVI carrying an analog signal. I honestly can't
> image a whole ton of people know about that. And by the way...I have a
> 10+ year old CRT hooked up to my core 2 duo. It works great and the
> quality is excellent, so I just can't find a whole lot of incentive to
> upgrade.

OK, since so many people seem to have missed this:

There are at least 2 flavors of DVI, maybe 3. (this is from memory,
so don't beat me up about little things I might have missed) DVI-D
carries the digital only signal, DVI-A carries analog only, and DVI-I
carries both. They all use the same connector (at least in the
consumer world, there may be some connectors that we mortals don't
see) and the connectors differ only in which pins are active.
Although I've seen DVI-A I'm not positive it's actually part of the
standard, which is why I'm claiming that there are 2 and maybe 3
flavors.

I'm pretty sure that DVI-D and the digital portion of DVI-I can
support HDCP also. So the only display connector that the
manufacturers need to put on their MOBOs is DVI-I. Adapters are
available to connect this VGA and HDMI, as long as you don't need to
include the audio capability that is possible with HDMI. They are no
more than 2 connectors wired back to back, like a gender-changer.
They'd make it for a buck and sell it to us for 4. Big deal.

I don't believe that component signals are suported at all,
officially, but of course any manufacturer could deviate from the
standard and include that signal format on the analog lines.

That pretty much sums up the state of things today, except that yet
another new standard called "Display Port" is on the horizon.

Marvin