[mythtv-users] sound problems

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Fri Feb 29 02:53:56 UTC 2008

On Feb 28, 2008, at 6:36 PM, matt lutz wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 12:46 AM, matt lutz
> <myth.matt.lutz at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 12:38 AM, matt lutz
> <myth.matt.lutz at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> hey all,
>
> I'm having a frustrating sound problem, which hopefully someone can
> help me with.  I've been using the spdif output on my M2N-E
> motherboard for a while.  It was working fine until the last day or
> so.  For some reason, I stopped getting any sound output when
> playing any type of non-passthrough sound.  So recordings from my
> analog card, & music didn't play sound, but my DVDs & HDTV media
> worked fine.  I thought maybe there was a problem with my sound
> card, so I plugged in my turtle-beach USB sound card.  It worked a
> little better - both types of media had sound, but the 'stereo-only'
> sounces had horribly garbled sound.
>
> I'm not really sure where to go from here.  There are no error
> messages in the log that I can see.. not sure what would have caused
> this.  The only change I've made is adding a USB DVD drive, and
> ripping a couple of DVDs.  I can't see how that would effect the
> sound.  any ideas?
>
> thanks,
> matt
>

> sorry, I should probably mention that I'm running mythbuntu 7.10-64,
> and myth 20.2
>

> Does anyone have any ideas on this?  I haven't been able to get very
> far.  It seems to be a mythtv thing, as I can play recordings back
> via xine with no problems...  and there are no errors, so I don't
> even really know where to go.

Unplug the optical cable from your receiver. Can you physically see
light coming out of the end of the cable when it's on? If there's
light coming out, you're sending signal and there is some myth to ALSA
issue. If there's no light coming out, you're likely not sending
signal to the right place in ALSA. At least it's a place to start...