[mythtv-users] What's the best HD frontend only hardware?

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Fri Feb 29 05:23:49 UTC 2008

On Fri, 29 Feb 2008, Nicolas Will wrote:

> On Fri, 2008-02-29 at 13:57 +1300, Wade Maxfield wrote:
> > Brian Wood wrote:

> > card)
> > >>
> > http://images.apple.com/movies/us/hd_gallery/gl1800/1080p/bbc-blue_m1080p.mov
> > >

> > > Other than # 4 a Mac  Mini would come close, though I agree with
> > your
> > > sentiment about Intel's video.
> >
> > Mac Mini's have onboard Intel video.  The current C2D mini's use a
> > GMA950 processor...
>
> Keep in mind that the Intel driver still does not do any hw accelerated
> stuff for video. There is a branch for MPEG2, but still nothing for
> H.264.

I've just yesterday put online a new dedicated FE box that should do
everything you are describing except perhaps the H.264 part.  (It's not
that it won't; I just don't know if it can.)  But it has absolutely ZERO
problems handling decode of a 1080i stream.  This is the barebones base
I'm using for the FE:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856110065

To that I added an Intel E6420 Core 2 Duo processor and 2GB of PC2-5300
DDR2 memory.  I have an old analog tuner attached - but only for its IR
receiver not the tuner portion.  The onboard GPU is an Intel GMA-950 and
I have it HDMI-connected to a 47" 1080p LCD panel with the resolution
set to 1920x1080.  I just now tested it on a livetv 1080i stream, and
the system is hiccup free and using only 36% of the CPU.  I'm not using
XvMC (doesn't work with Intel last time I tried) so it's just Xv.  But
obviously right now I seem not to even need XvMC either.

For its system disk, there's well, no disk at all.  It network boots
from the BE system and uses an NFS-mounted read-only root file system.
It runs without swap.  The box has no special cooling beyond what it
came with and it is TOTALLY silent.  I'm very happy with it.

Actually I have two FE systems.  The other system is older (P4 2.4GHz
plus a nvidia 6200-class GPU via an AGP slot, and has only 512MB).  It
is built with a circa-2004 Shuttle PC enclosure and is a slight bit
noisier.  Rendering 1080i on that box chews up about 65% of the CPU.

Both machines seem to hover around 50 watts apiece.

Since the root file system is set up to be read-only, the two FEs
actually share the same physical root file system.  They are
differentiated through custom configuration stanzas in the DHCP server.
In theory I can add another diskless front end just by dropping some
bits of configuration in a few key places.  It's been an interesting
exercise.  I only just finally put this all together in the past week;
it's what I've had in mind all along.

  -Mike

--

Mike Isely