[mythtv-users] Anyone else have guide data problems? (SchedulesDirect only)

f-myth-users at media.mit.edu f-myth-users at media.mit.edu
Fri Feb 29 07:48:34 UTC 2008

    > Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 21:16:18 -0500
    > From: "Ronald Frazier" <ron at ronfrazier.net>

    > > Now I wish I would have recorded it too to see what aired in my area,
    > >  because for me it was showing the icky foods episode in the guide. I
    > >  wonder if my wife still has a season pass for the show on the TiVo.

    > My wife did record it on the tivo, and it was indeed the brown plate
    > special. In addition tivo had the correct episode name on the
    > recording. As far as I know, tivo should be getting the same data we
    > get (they get it from tribune also), so I wonder...does tivo download
    > updates for already recorded shows and update them retroactively?

Yes, I believe it does.

I'm in the unusual situation of having both a myth and a tivo staring
at the same feed, and when this whole topic came up, I checked.  -Both-
of them claimed that the episode was "Icky, Gooey and Sticky Food Jobs".
Both of them recorded it.  The myth still believes that, whereas the
tivo now claims it recorded "Brown Plate Special".  I can't -prove-
that it was called BPS just before recording because of a badly-timed
browser crash (due to external causes) that wiped out the tivoweb page
I had up, but I'm sure that at least a day in advance the tivo claimed
IGSFJ---I was quite surprised today to discover that that previously-
recorded episode now claimed to be BPS on the tivo.

This isn't unheard-of on the Discovery Channel, btw---I certainly
recall that the Dirty Jobs that is currently called "Wild Goose Chase"
was called "Alaska Bird Swabber" when it first aired.  However, all
the reairing of ABS have been called WGC.  The myth has -not- tried to
rerecord WGC, though, which makes me believe that the EpisodeID in the
XML data remained unchanged.  I'll bet that IGSFJ will reair at some
point called BPS, but with the same EpisodeID.  (I haven't gone back
and checked whether WGC/ABS had an on-air title, but I think it didn't;
I think only the "special episodes" (aka clipshows) of Dirty Jobs
actually have an episode title shown on-screen.)

This isn't confined to Dirty Jobs, either---for example, Mythbusters
recently reaired "Superhero Special", which was called "Superhero Hour"
the first time around.  It looks like Discovery tends to waffle a bit
on exactly what they'd like to call certain episodes of certain series.
However, this waffling does -not- seem to include EpisodeIDs---my myth
correctly believed that it had already recorded SS when it was aired
as SH [and I verified that by forcing the recording and then looking
at the first minute or two---yup, same episode that aired back in late
August].

(Oddly enough, DSC also doesn't seem to supply -any- closed-captions
for Mythbusters on the first airings, but -does- supply them on the
reruns.  This is pretty irritating!  And yet they're not consistent:
Dirty Jobs gets CC information the first time around.]