[mythtv-users] Advice on getting best archive quality?

Corey Wirun corey at calgary.homelinux.net
Fri Feb 29 21:58:49 UTC 2008

Hi All,

I'm trying to improve video quality when I archive to DVD.  My recordings are grainy with motion-related artifacts that appear.  I'm using the removecommercials scripts that is on the net.   I could use a little advice here on how to get TV quality recordings on disk.

What I do not understand is the the script (run as a user job) takes a 2.2Gig recording and puts it down to 750K.  Is this where the initial quality loss is?  I understand that the script flags the commercials then transcodes the result to a smaller file.  Marginally smaller I can understand due to the loss of commercials, but what is actually reducing the file size by 65%?  Different format?

Also, is the quality degrading even further because I'm trying to burn 6 hours of programming on a DVD?  If I want near-TV quality, how much recording capacity can I expect on a 4.7Gig DVD?

I have a PVR-350 and I record using a recording profile with:

Image size: 720x480
Video Codec: MPEG-2
Stream type: MPEG-2 PS
Aspect: 4:3
Bitrate: 4500
Max Bitrate: 6000

Audio Codec: MPEG-2 Hardware Encoder
Sampling: 32000
Type: Layer II
Bitrate: 384kbps

All of my recordings will go to DVD exclusively.  If I use the removecommericials script as a user job, is setting a job transcoder redundant?  Similarly, is setting 'auto-transcode' and 'commercial removal' flags redundant?

I set all of my transcoder profiles identical:

Video Codec: MPEG-4
Bitrate: 2200
Enable High Quality encoding: off
Enable 4MV: off
Enable interlaced DCT: off
Enable interlaced motion estimation: off

Thanks in advance for any help!
Corey.