[mythtv-users] My First MythTV Box

GR myth at nmysbh.org.uk
Tue Jan 1 09:12:17 UTC 2008

Don Jerman wrote:
> I tend to value the bays more.  I would agree if they were IDE drives,
> but this board supports SATA-II, and you should use it.  3Gbps = about
> 22GB/hr, HD streams are about 7GB/hr so you can play 1 and record 2
> and have change left over for mysql and mythweb - on a single SATA
> channel.  Of course if you plan to work it harder than that, you
> probably need more drives and channels anyhow.
SATA 2 runs at 3Gb/s. That's 384MB/s. SATA II (Or indeed SATA I at
"just" 192MB/s) is NOT your problem or limitation - Especially as SATA
is a point-to-point protocol unlike IDE & SCSI.

Your problem is the actual I/O throughout of the HD itself. If you look
at the reviews, they tend to average out at about 60MB/s. Even the WD
Raptor-X bottles out at 84MB/s.
(At work we have some expensive Fibre Channel stuff, and that tops out
at around 200MB/s)

Oh, and whilst we're at it, IDE UDMA/133 would top out at 133MB/s -
still faster than any standard HD.

GR