[mythtv-users] [OT] Digital Audio Formats

clemens at dwf.com clemens at dwf.com
Thu Jan 3 23:45:31 UTC 2008

Im confused here.

When I see references to PC Audio Cards I see S/PDIF as what appears to
be a 2 channel digital audio format (both datalink and physical layer).

When I see references to Home Theater products (ok HD products), I see
references to HDMI which seems to be a multichannel (video) and audio
format (in some cases it seems to be up to 9.1 channels?)

There are other references to just 'digital audio', with who knows what format?

There appear to be amplifiers that take HDMI in, but I haven't seen anything
that takes S/PDIF in.

Anyone have a reference that explains all this (plus coax vs optical versions
of each, if applicable...)

Sometime this coming year I will be springing for a new HD tv, and would like
to know WHAT I need to process the audio.
And WHAT ADDITIONAL I need to have specified if I want to get audio
from my PC, from something like MythTV.

And just for good measure, I never see anything mentioned about bit rates,
which from the Audio cards it is possible to change.

Confused.

--
                                        Reg.Clemens
                                        reg at dwf.com