[mythtv-users] How do master and slave backends divide up work?

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Fri Jan 4 16:12:11 UTC 2008

On Jan 4, 2008, at 7:56 AM, Ma Begaj wrote:

> 2008/1/4, Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com>:
>> On Jan 4, 2008, at 7:36 AM, Ma Begaj wrote:
>>
>>> I am thinking about building 2nd backend/frontend box.I have already
>>> have one backend/frontend box.
>>>
>>> I was thinking about the following problem this morning:
>>> how to make both of the boxes be "independent" but still using the
>>> same database without having third machine for the database.
>>
>> Why?
>
> because I do not want to have one box running only for the database.
> my current mythbox is handles everything, but it does not have free
> slots for the other tv cards. 2nd backend/frontend would have similar
> hardware, and I see no reason to have two boxes running for the things
> which can be easily done by one box. this probably cannot be done
> easily or maybe not at all, but it would nice and useful and an energy
> saving solution.

So you have your database run on your master backend and the have the
machines power off and on as they are needed for recordings. Yes, that
means your backend needs to be powered on when you use your frontend
so you should probably make your frontend machine also your master
backend, then the slave backend will only turn on when it needs to
record something.