[mythtv-users] NFS and remote backend

Tony Lill ajlill at ajlc.waterloo.on.ca
Sat Jan 5 03:27:47 UTC 2008

jongi <jongitech at gmail.com> writes:

> Mike Barnard wrote:
>

>                     Both systems are F8 but the nfs is painfully slow between them. ftp though runs at over 1MB/s and nfs is nowhere near that speed. so when
>           i run the videos on the remote frontend they are often jerky. Without the nfs share I found that I couldn't find the records/videos on the remote
>           backend. Is there something I am missing?
>
>               1MB/sec is painfully slow for FTP, at least on a 100 megabit network. You should be seeing close to 10 times that. Are you sure your network cables
>      are good? I've seen badly-wired homemade cables hose up a connection like this. Of course, there are lots of other possibilities as well.
>
> it's via wireless. the computer that serves as the master be/fe is downstairs and on the other side of the house

If the best you can do over tcp is 1MB/s then first off, you should
probably transcode your programs. MPEG2 from my ivtv card is about
1MB/s, transcoded it's 250kB/s. The latter I can watch over wireless,
but not the former. YMMV.

Second, use nfs over tcp. I had the same problem using standard nfs,
even on a 100Mb wired connection. Try these options in your
fstab.

nfs,tcp,noatime,rsize=32768,wsize=32768

You shouldn't need nfs to find recordings. The frontend gets a list
from the backend process, and if it can't access the recording through
the filesystem, then it will stream it from the backend process.

mythvideo can't use this method so it does need nfs.
--
Tony Lill,                         Tony.Lill at AJLC.Waterloo.ON.CA
President, A. J. Lill Consultants        fax/data (519) 650 3571

READ CAREFULLY. By reading this message you agree, on behalf of your
employer, to release me from all obligations and waivers arising from
any and all NON-NEGOTIATED agreements, licenses, terms-of-service,
shrinkwrap, clickwrap, browsewrap, confidentiality, non-disclosure,
non-compete and acceptable use policies ("BOGUS AGREEMENTS") that I
have entered into with your employer, its partners, licensors, agents
and assigns, in perpetuity, without prejudice to my ongoing rights and
privileges. You further represent that you have the authority to
release me from any BOGUS AGREEMENTS on behalf of your employer.