[mythtv-users] reinstall and restore data/recordings?

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Sat Jan 5 10:52:54 UTC 2008

Gregory K. Ruiz-Ade wrote:
> I'm planning on changing my Myth setup, and installing Mythbuntu (7.10)
> on a new HD, and then migrating the mysql DBs and the recordings over to
> the new disk.
>
> Is it pretty much /var/lib/mythtv and the mysql databases that I need to
> preserve, or are there additional configuration files that I need to
> worry about?
>
> Did I completely miss this in the documentation? :)

If you are planning on a complete re-install, probably not. You have to be aware
that there are files under /root/.mythtv and /home/*/.mythtv which Mythtv uses
from time to time. If you are planning to preserve the user(s) information these
will be saved (root probably won't, though).

A simpler upgrade path might be to do the following: mount your new disk as a
secondary somewhere if you can, set up the new partitions you require, then copy
everything from your old disk to the new one. Then switch your disks round and
install your new operating system over the old one (on your new disk). Most
installs these days are smart enough to detect existing partition content and
ask you if you wish to preserve some or all of it. Say yes to /home and /var and
your media partitions (these all should be separate partitions, right?) and you
should be ok.

A extra thought, one that has been touched on recently, is to put your mysql
files on a separate disk drive to the media files if you can, for efficiency
reasons.

Mike Perkins