[mythtv-users] Another step towards what I'd predicted

Greg greg12866 at nycap.rr.com
Sat Jan 5 21:10:52 UTC 2008

Joe Borne wrote:
> It seems Sony BMG has decided to abandon DRM. EMI did the same thing
> about 8 weeks ago. Several companies have withdrawn from the RIAA
> recently as well. Multiple DRM free download sites now exist legally.
>
> http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/jan2008/tc2008013_398775.htm
>
> What we are seeing is the natural consequence of companies attempting
> to infringe on the right of the consumer to take their media anywhere
> they want, when they want, without having to pay again for what they
> already own. The RIAA and MPAA can litigate, and governments can
> legislate, but in the end market pressures rule the day.
>
> When the transfer and use of TV shows, movies and other video based
> media reaches the ubiquitous level that music has today, the
> restrictions there will collapse as well. As the cable companies lose
> their monopoly positions to pressure from phone companies and
> satellite, competition will force them to give up things such as the
> CCI bit and 5C. When the days come that everyone is carrying their
> favorite shows and movies with them on devices like the video iPod,
> people wont tolerate restrictions there either. The combination of
> consumer pressure and competition will destroy the MPAA, CCI and 5C.

This week i E-mailed the FCC and complained about the fact that allot of
people are buying new TV's with the digital and Qam tuners and the cable
operators are blocking us from using our tuners.. My Argument  is we
change over to digital tv's and still have to rent a stb and remote..I
have 3 tv's  so it costs $24.00  a month to do what my tv's already
do..They E-mailed me 2 days later and asked for my home phone number so
they could speak to me about it...Maybe if  more people would e-mail
them and tell them their cable co.won't allow them to use their TV's
with out an stb... Can't hurt.... Sorry to jump on your post,but i
wanted to maybe prompt a few to do as i did....  The email address is
MBINFO at fcc.gov