[mythtv-users] ivtv0, MPEG buffers full. Dropping Data

Chris Isip cmisipster at gmail.com
Sat Jan 5 23:32:01 UTC 2008

On Jan 4, 2008 9:58 PM, Tony Lill <ajlill at ajlc.waterloo.on.ca> wrote:

> Daniel Arfsten <darfsten at hotmail.com> writes:
> > I am seeing the error a lot now. I can't think of what I have done to
> the machine to cause this? I have only 1 PVR-350 in the main
> backend/frontend and a PVR-500 on a Secondary Backend/Frontend. I do all my
> watching of my recordings on my xbox thru xbmcmythtv though. It may because
> I was transcoding downloading avi files to mpeg compliant files for burning
> to DVD using devede? BUt I can't be sure because I can't read the time
> through dmesg? Here are some more of the errors at the end of the dmesg
> which I just ran now. I can't speak for the recordings as I am way behind
> and haven't watched any recent recordings. I'll check them out tonight after
> work to see if there are missing frames and whatnot. Thanks for the reply.
> Happy New Year
>
> If you are using 0.20, it has a design flaw in that the same thread
> that reads data from your capture card also inserts data  into the
> seek table for every frame. One of the things that seem to affect this
> is the size of the database, and the other seems to be which kernel
> version you are running.
>
> Since you say you are way behind in watching recordings, I'd guess
> your database is getting large enough so that you start hitting the
> problem.
>
> If this is the problem then you can either upgrade to the latest SVN
> version, or apply the patch in http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/1660
> to your 0.20 source.
>
> The other thing you can try it to upgrade your kernel. When I switch
> from the 2.4 series of kernels to 2.6, I found that the new kernels
> really sucked at sharing resources. It was very easy for one process
> (especially one that does a lot of I/O) to mess up watching and/or
> recording programs. 2.6.23 is the first kernel I've tried that worked
> as well as the 2.4 kernels in this regard. YMMV
> --
> Tony Lill,                         Tony.Lill at AJLC.Waterloo.ON.CA
> President, A. J. Lill Consultants        fax/data (519) 650 3571
> 539 Grand Valley Dr., Cambridge, Ont. N3H 2S2     (519) 241 2461
> --------------- http://www.ajlc.waterloo.on.ca/ ----------------
>
> READ CAREFULLY. By reading this message you agree, on behalf of your
> employer, to release me from all obligations and waivers arising from
> any and all NON-NEGOTIATED agreements, licenses, terms-of-service,
> shrinkwrap, clickwrap, browsewrap, confidentiality, non-disclosure,
> non-compete and acceptable use policies ("BOGUS AGREEMENTS") that I
> have entered into with your employer, its partners, licensors, agents
> and assigns, in perpetuity, without prejudice to my ongoing rights and
> privileges. You further represent that you have the authority to
> release me from any BOGUS AGREEMENTS on behalf of your employer.

I think I got bit by this bug too initially.  The main symptom that I
remember was dropped frames at the beginning of a recording which manifested
as the video jumping from one scene to another.  After the first few
minutes, the video was OK.   I consulted the ivtv mailing list and they
identified the issue as a mythtv bug.  Thats when I decided to "not upgrade
if it ain't broke".