[mythtv-users] Remote control not working in MythWelcome after hibernate

Jan mpr.list at googlemail.com
Sun Jan 6 09:54:43 UTC 2008

Hello MythTV-users!

As stated in the topic, the remote control for my Hauppauge Nova-T 500 DVB-T
card is not working in MythWelcome after resume from hibernate.
I am using ACPI wakeup and as my system will not wake up from a complete power
off, I hibernate the system instead. Waking up for scheduled recordings works
fine, as well as going back to S4 sleep state after the desired period of
idleness.

The remote control used to be adressed as /dev/input/eventX where the X would
vary after hibernation, thus causing it to be non functional (except the
arrow keys, which by the way do work in MythWelcome too) in the frontend.
I have solved this problem by creating a udev link called /dev/input/remote
and pointing the /etc/lirc/hardware.conf to the link instead of the eventX.

When I power on the Myth box, MythWelcome will instantly start the countdown
to shut down again and pressing the OK button on the remote to start the
frontend doesn't do a thing. I will have to press space or return on the
keyboard (which I ultimately want to get rid off when the HTPC will move to
the living room). Also the menu button on the remote will not bring up the
menu. If I open it with M on the keyboard, the arrow keys on the remote will
let me select the menu options though... In the frontend, the remote always
works after hibernation.

I think you get the point...

I already changed the focus settings of XFCE, that did not help.
If I launch irw in a ssh session while the MythBox is in MythWelcome, I can
see every keypress.

The facts that the arrow keys always work and ALL keys work after a cold
boot/reboot make me assume that MythWelcome is addressing the remote control
as /dev/input/eventX where the X only matches the remote before the system
got hibernated the first time.
Still, the only config file I found that mentions the remote as a device
is /etc/lirc/hardware.conf.

Now some info on my system:

Asus P4B266-LM mainboard with a P4 1.8 GHz and 664 MB RAM
GeForce 6200 256 MB NVidia Driver 100.14.11
Hauppauge Nova-T 500 (set up as described in and config files for the remote
from  the wiki)
MythBuntu 7.10, MythTV 0.20.2

Rock on,
Jan

PS: This is my first post on a mailing list ever, be gentle... ;)

PPS: Seems like KMail does not like Gmail or something. It seemed to me that
the mail never made it to the list, so I resent it. If it now appears twice,
I am truly sorry for that.