[mythtv-users] "queue" feature in mythmusic

Dewey Smolka dsmolka at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 15:22:05 UTC 2008

On Jan 6, 2008 4:18 AM, Paul Harrison <mythtv at dsl.pipex.com> wrote:

> Dewey Smolka wrote:
> > On Jan 5, 2008 5:54 PM, Ma Begaj <derliebegott at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> hi,
> >>
> >> I do not know about you, but I always liked the queue feature in xmms
> >> or winamp.
> >>
> >> when you play a song in one of the these programs and press "q", the
> >> song will be put in queue and it ill be played after the song
> >> currently being played. "queue" can contain as many songs as you want.
> >>
> >> I am looking for something similar in mythmusic. any ideas?
> >>

> > I would absolutely love to see a feature like this in MythMusic. I've
> > brought it up on the list a couple times, and I only wish I had the
> > skills to code it.
> >
> > Not that I'm knocking anybody or anything -- I love my Myth system and
> > you'll have to pry it out of my cold, dead hands. But this is a
> > feature that would make it even better.
> >

> You can always use the search feature to find the track you want and
> then you have the option to replace, insert after the current track or
> append to end of the active playlist. You can also do the same for the
> quick playlists (All tracks from current Artist etc.) and smart
> playlists. Does this not allow you to do what you want?

Not sure about Ma but it's not quite what I'm looking for.

I'll generally have 30 or 40 albums in a playlist, playing randomly. I
also have the Browse All Music option on. I'd like to be able to make
the large random playlist the base behavior and have a priority queue
on top of it -- so that it behaves more like a jukebox.

Right now if the base playlist is running and I send an additional
track, it cuts off the song playing and runs the selected track (which
is what it should do). If I pick a second track while the first is
playing, it cuts off the first and immediately starts playing the
second. I would prefer it to queue the second track behind the first
(and the third behind the second, etc). Right now, once the individual
track has  finished playing, Myth continues with the same album. I'd
prefer it to revert back to the original playlist.

What I'd like in other words is for Myth to play the default playlist
when I turn it on, as it does now. But I'd also like to be able to
pick individual tracks and queue them at the front of the line. Once
the priority queue is empty, I'd like Myth to go back to the original
queue. Maybe there's a better way of doing this than how I've
described but this is how it makes sense to me.

What would it take to do this in terms of code? I can't believe it
would be all that much or all that complicated since I've seen loads
of jukeboxes that function exactly like this.

I do want to emphasize that this isn't a criticism, and I love MythTV.
This feature wouldn't so much be the icing on the cake as it would be
a bit of gold sprinkle on top of the icing. Anyway, thanks for
listening.