[mythtv-users] 64 Bit and memory

Mitch Gore mitchell.gore at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 18:03:46 UTC 2008

Hi,

i have built my first 64 bit Mythbox on a AMD X2 5200.  I put a gig of DDR2
800 in the box assuming that would be enough.

The machine doesn't seem to be as 'snappy' as I was hoping.  I know 64bit
uses more memory that 32bit but I figured 1 gig is enough, as a used to run
the same be/fe on 512mb.  Do I really more than a gig to reach top
performance of 64bit?

When I built the box out I just assumed I should use x86-64 being that is
what the process is.  I am really not looking forward to rebuilding the box
in 32bit.  If I can just purchase another gig of memory and fix it that
would be preferred.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Mitchell