[mythtv-users] 64 Bit and memory

Mitch Gore mitchell.gore at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 19:09:56 UTC 2008

On Jan 7, 2008 12:16 PM, John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com> wrote:

> > The machine doesn't seem to be as 'snappy' as I was hoping.  I know
> 64bit
> > uses more memory that 32bit but I figured 1 gig is enough, as a used to
> run
> > the same be/fe on 512mb.  Do I really more than a gig to reach top
> > performance of 64bit?
> >
> No you do not need 1GB. Also the difference in memory need from 32 to
> 64 bit is minimal because only the pointers default to 64 bit.
>
> John

So i need to figure out why i am using so much memory.  When looking at htop
is see 418mb/939mb for RAM (Onboard video so i dont see a gig)
0/2500mb for SWAP.

This is after a fresh reboot. Here is what is running:
I have a dual desktop one 1080p and the other is 1024x768 both running
GNOME.
Azureus/java
mythbackend +dependencies
all fedora 8 stuff.

Looking at htop and sorting by Mem% doesnt really help as to what is uses
memory/how much.  Is there a better way?

This is wierd as my FE running F7 x86 uses 32mb of ram on boot.  Granted its
running fluxbox and no backend up 400mb for the backend and GNOME seems
crazy.

Thanks,
Mitchell