[mythtv-users] How can I watch mpg files / "import" mpg-files into database?

jedi at mishnet.org jedi at mishnet.org
Mon Jan 7 19:13:05 UTC 2008

> Hi everybody,
>
> I'm rather new to "Linux on the desktop" and one of the biggest
> stumbling blocks is my "PVR"...
> My hardware includes a PVR-350 and a PVR-500, so I think / hope that
> MythTV is a good way to go :-)
> (motherboard: Asus M2NPV-VM)
>
> I have used Windows in the past and will continue to dual-boot for quite
> a while...
>
> Therefore, my question is: can I watch my existing recordings (mpg as
> generated by the Hauppauge cards) in MythTV?

...as long as you can play it with some desktop Linux player then you
can play it under MythTV. A lot of us just plain use desktop players
in lieu of the internal one in MythTV.

You might want to get the ffmpeg libs for windows so that any files
you generate in Linux will play under Windows.

> Some details to the question:
> Part 1: Can I open "some MPG file" (from disk) and watch it?
> Part 2: Can I tell MythTV about my files so they show up in
> "recordings"? I am a software developer, so adding "a few" database

There's a frontend menu item for this "Video Manager".

Dunno if this can be scheduled to run automatically. Autodiscover
would be nice <hint><hint>. But it's not that big of a deal to
run this from the frontend.

> entries would not be a major problem. I would of course prefer an easy
> solution, but well... filling the db would be ok if all else fails...
> Part 3: Any chance MythTV can flag commercials on "my old recordings"?
>
> Slightly off-topic:
> Can you guys recommend other "easy ways" to watch my recordings on my TV
> while I'm working on my desktop? This is NOT an HTPC... I want to use my
> desktop as usual (Ubuntu 7.10), but at the same time watch a movie on

You can run mythtv in a window if you want to...

   Something like "mythfrontend -w -geometry 720x480"

   This is also handy for "maintenance" activities so you don't tie up
your living room TV with this sort of stuff. "Tivo maintenance" was one
of the more annoying parts of using a Tivo.

[deletia]