[mythtv-users] Radio Times xmltv Howto?

Neil Milne neil.milne at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 19:57:17 UTC 2008

On 07/01/2008, Steve Curtis <scurtis at fixation.net> wrote:

> So, cause it borked I was completely stuck and hoping something somewhere
> may say what and how it all works so I can do whatever the script was going
> to do manually - but I can't find anything.  :-(

I've had the xmltv stuff working since before EIT was even available,
so my setup is almost totally manually done. I've just taken a look at
that script and what it is trying to do is update your channel
information in the database to add the xmltv id to the table. If you
run mythweb you can see this in the channel editor page - if you've
not put anything in there all the entries will be blank.

What I did when I did my original setup, and for new channels even
now, is that I manually enter the xmltvid into the database either via
mythweb or the mythtv setup app, or even via mysql, depending on how I
feel :-)

So, if you want to skip running that script (no idea why it wouldn't
work however) then you can manually add the xmltvid information. You
can use the files in the archive along with the script as a source of
mappings from the channel name/number to the xmltvid.

Once that's in, mythfilldatabase will be able to match up your
channels with the data downloaded from the rt using tv_grab.

I run my grab script and a manual mythfilldatabase early each morning.
Basically, I use cron to schedule  a script which runs tv_grab, then
runs mythfilldatabase, and finally I run a little bit of sql to remove
dodgy far future entries from EIT (I do use EIT for some channels).

I can post my little script if anyone thinks it would be useful, it's
not terribly complicated.  I also enhance the listings using the imdb
film ratings, but that's another story.

HTH
Neil

--