[mythtv-users] Another step towards what I'd predicted

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 02:07:26 UTC 2008

On Jan 5, 2008 9:24 AM, Joe Borne <joe.borne at gmail.com> wrote:
> It seems Sony BMG has decided to abandon DRM. EMI did the same thing about 8
> weeks ago. Several companies have withdrawn from the RIAA recently as well.
> Multiple DRM free download sites now exist legally.
>
>  http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/jan2008/tc2008013_398775.htm

...and only about nine years too late :D

Seriously though, since they made that announcement I've seen an
amazing improvement in the Amazon.com mp3 store.  It used to be that
I'd check for something and almost know before hand that it wouldn't
be there.  Now it's getting to be the opposite situation...really
cool.

I think the situation with pay TV would change quicker if more people
(for whom it's an option) would do what I do and go strictly OTA.
Until HD stations on cable are as hassle-free to receive and record as
my OTA I'm not interested.  My position on DRM and the like is simple:
It amounts to treating your customers like criminals, and I'd no
sooner put up with that than shop at a store that frisked all their
customers on the way out the door....period.

Tom