[mythtv-users] looking for an hdhomerun

Larry K lunchtimelarry at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 03:21:55 UTC 2008

I have been reading the archives about HDHR, and I have a n00b question.
Before I get to that, I am currently capturing SD from Comcast (channels
1-99) with PVR 250s.  I have a Motorola 6412 dual tuner STB that gives me
digital cable, encrypted content (HBO, SHO, etc.), and 20-30 HD channels.
My primary motivation is to make more channels available to my myth box, I
don't really care all that much about encrypted or HD content, but I'll take
that as a bonus.  I've been considering a firewire solution, but I've been
reading about how quirky this can be, depending on the STB and the firewire
card.  Now, I am reading about how HDHR might also solve this problem.
So....

Is there a way to see what QAM channels an HDHR box could "see" before I
plop down the $170?  If we are talking basically the same content I get now
via analog tuners, then HDHR makes no sense.  However, if most of the
digital channels are on the table, then HDHR is for me.  A quick check of
the silicondust website
http://www.silicondust.com/wiki/hdhomerun/channelsshows, for my zip
code, a list of mostly digital music channels, and a few
other obvious things like networks, and some HD content.  Not much content
beyond what I get via analog capture, tho.  Not sure how reliable this tool
is since it doesn't know who my provider is.

When considering firewire capture from my STB, or HDHR, which makes more
sense?  Ignore cost as a factor.

Thanks
Larry