[mythtv-users] Australian TV station show times...

Bruce Nordstrand brucen at ksl.com.au
Tue Jan 8 13:29:34 UTC 2008

Dan Cotter wrote:
> Anyone else notice how far shows can be away from their scheduled
> start times?
> I had to set to record 5 minutes early and end 15 minutes late, I am
> still missing the end of some shows (I am in brisbane).
> I look after boxes for my family/friends, most only have 80GB
> harddisks, so its a big deal to have to record 55 minutes just to be
> sure to get a 30 minute program.
>
> Apart from SBS, once you get to prime time (6pm onwards) every show
> seems to be at least 5 minutes late on every channel. Also many
> channels (channel 10 is the worst) don't show a water mark on most
> shows from the last add break to the credits, as if they are
> deliberate trying to foil add removing software.
>
> I remember hearing that someone was settings up a real-time online
> server that would show when exactally a show had just commenced, with
> the idea you could just poll it every couple of minutes. Was this ever
> done?
>
> Cheers,
> Dan

Dan

I too have been noticing they are getting worse. I get my signal from
the Woolongong area of Sydney and am only seeing pretty close to
start/end times from ABC and SBS. Prime (7), WIN (9) and Southern Cross
(10) are abysmal - WIN especially. I too have 5 in front and 15 behind
and I missed at least half of the shows recorded off WIN. I am talking a
programmed start time of say 7pm and the actual show I am after starting
15 to 20 mins *after* that. I don't know what they are playing at but
thank goodness for Myth where I can just adjust and edit later if need be.

Cheers
Bruce