[mythtv-users] Length/progress of mpeg transport streams in xine and mplayer

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 21:19:55 UTC 2008

On Jan 8, 2008 2:30 PM, Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:

> On Jan 8, 2008, at 11:27 AM, Tom Dexter wrote:
>
> > If I attempt to play one of the HD mpeg files recorded off of HD OTA
> > broadcasts using anything like xine and mplayer, they seem to be
> > clueless as to the actual length of the video and the current time
> > position.
> >
> > For example, I have a one hour 1080i video recorded off of PBS.  When
> > I play it in xine it thinks it's over two hours.  Mplayer is even
> > worse...it shows a total time of 13 minutes with the progress showing
> > as something like 23:45:56/00:13:00 or something else equally
> > senseless.  I know this has nothing to do with mythtv, as it's just
> > recording exactly what's being broadcast.
> >
> > This wouldn't really be an issue except when I have a reason to want
> > to chop a part of a show out to a video file using mencoder.  The -ss
> > and -endpos options in mencoder naturally become useless under those
> > circumstances.
> >
> > I have very current versions of those programs (the latest stable ones
> > in Gentoo).  Do others here experience the same thing?
>
> I play them with the MythTV player and don't have an issue. The times
> are slightly off due to different frame-rates and sizes embedded in
> the streams, but generally they are accurate enough. Did you try on
> the mplayer or xine lists?

No I haven't tried on those lists yet.  I figured someone here might
have run into it due to having those same transport stream files.

Oh, and yes, they play just fine in MythTV and have only slightly
inaccurate times when stations mix frame rates (like NBC does).

Like I said, the only time it's an issue for me is when I want to grab
a piece of a show with mencoder, which is pretty much impossible
without reencoding the video to a format that mplayer handles better.

Tom