[mythtv-users] Touchscreen "workaround" (with help of other programs)?

Chad masterclc at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 22:36:49 UTC 2008

On Jan 8, 2008 1:04 PM, Nils Berg <t045tbr0t at yahoo.de> wrote:
> Well, as I said before, I'd really like to be able to use a touchscreen with
> MythTV.
> But, since the switch of the Plugins to MythUI is not likely to happen in
> the near future, I figured I might as well try and create keyboard inputs
> with the touchscreen (;
>
> This is what I came up with:
>
> Part 1:
> Use Gestikk (more info here) to map simple gestures to "up", "down", "left",
> "right" (simple strokes in the respective direction), some unique gesture to
> a script that pauses Gestikk's recognition, then calls onboard, an onscreen
> keyboard, and resumes the gesture recognition as soon as that is closed
> (e.g. text/number input is complete). I was thinking of a circle (either
> way) to invoke the keyboard.
> Additionally, I'm hoping that the dev of Gestikk will honor my request and
> allow a "tap" element to be integrated in gestures, which could be mapped to
> return (single tap, that is), and a "hold" at the end of a gesture to repeat
> the command the gesture invokes (would be useful/needed for scrolling any
> sort of list that way).
> Last, but not least, there would need to be gestures for both "Record"
> (since that one is frequently used) and "Back" (I don't think there's an
> exit button in every menu).
>
> Part 2 (optional, may be easier to remember instead of multiple gestures):
> Use brightside to provide an escape "button" in one of the corners and a
> "record" button in another. I don't know how far the "active corners" reach
> into the screen (i.e. if it will be possible to hit that spot with a
> touchscreen, where it's hard to reach the very edge, unlike a mouse)
>

> What do you think of this approach? Do you think it's feasible? This is just
> what I could come up with theoretically (I don't have a system to test any
> of this on atm, planning on setting one up this weekend), so it may be
> totally wrong...
>

> regards,
> Nils
>
> PS: I would like it a lot more if it was possible to kind of turn the
> touchscreen into something similar to a trackpad (at least inside of myth),
> that is make it generate a button press in the appropriate direction for
> every, say, half-inch the user moves his finger.
> Is there a program that would allow this sort of remapping?

This is something I've been interested in for a long time, long before
I had heard of MythTV.  However, I constantly fall back to some
external device as a better alternative than a touch screen.  Touch
screens (at least what I've seen) are considerably more expensive and
(again from what I've seen) typically less vibrant, clear, visible, or
in some way they are just more distorted.  If all of those variables
were taken away, and a touch screen interface were available I would
probably stop making excuses for alternatives and just go for it on a
touch screen and see how it goes.  I haven't got any clue what you are
doing, but from part of your description (Dual head with independent
users) it sounds like what I've been thinking about.  A dual
monitor-in-the-headrest approach for a Myth-vehicle.  I figured a
remote with velcro on it would just be the "fix" instead of a touch
screen.

-Chad