[mythtv-users] looking for an hdhomerun

Matt Emmott memmott at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 18:50:23 UTC 2008

On Jan 8, 2008 7:11 PM, William Munson <w.munson at comcast.net> wrote:

> Larry K wrote:
> > Well, that would be great if I could do that.  How can I tell what
> > channels will be available to the HDRD, before I go buy one?
> >
> That is the rub with the HDHR, you cannot even tell what channels you
> are receiving as there is no mapping of qam transport channels to actual
> channels. In fact you will have to manually figure out what each channel
> is and then manually enter the data into the database and then will have
> to look up what the xmltvid number is for that channel. I would strongly
> recommend that you spend the time getting a firewire stb set up.
> Although quirky its far far easier than setting up a hdhr. Here in
> Florida the cable company (comcast) has a nasty habit of moving channels
> around every few weeks which is completely transparent when using a stb
> but will cause you large amounts of frustration when all of a sudden you
> start recording garbage or nothing at all.

I disagree with your opinion of how easy it is to set up a firewire STB. I
have an SA3250HD that I spent weeks troubleshooting before giving up. One
minute it would work, the next it wouldn't. It took days to find a script
that would even change the channels on the thing. Actually recording and
viewing content over firewire was next to impoossible. One person would say
that I needed to reset the firewire bus but wouldn't explain how to do it.
Another person suggested that I reboot the cable box fifty times a day.
General consensus seems to be that firewire is handled much better in SVN,
but I don't feel comfortable using releases beyond what's listed as stable.
I'

I've ordered an HDHomerun which should be here any day, so we'll see if I
still have the same opinion. :-)