[mythtv-users] US cable companies and mandatory OTA channels

jedi at mishnet.org jedi at mishnet.org
Wed Jan 9 19:13:39 UTC 2008

> Albert James wrote:
>> OTA HD signals are not compressed, whereas their Cable equivilants are.
>
> OTA HD channels are MPEG2, that is "not compressed" ?

Think: your local NBC affiliate in HD vs. what DirecTV might give you...

DirecTV already overcompresses it's SD signals and does the same for
their HD channel. That's why that like to that xtremehd product from
yesterday is so interesting. Their whole sales pitch seems like it will
be "we don't mangle the data like Direct TV does".

[deletia]