[mythtv-users] looking for an hdhomerun

Greg Woods greg at gregandeva.net
Wed Jan 9 20:15:10 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-01-09 at 11:29 -0800, Tom Greer wrote:

> Advantages:
>       *  I get all of the analog, digital and HD channels to which I
>         subscribe.

Unfortunately, this is dependent on your local cable company. Some cable
companies do not make anything available over firewire that isn't also
available to the HD Homerun in the clear (such as Comcast here in east
Boulder County Colorado). If the channel is encrypted, I can't get it on
firewire either )-:

> Disadvantages:
>       * It works only 90% time.

This is going to be dependent on what kernel you have and your firewire
hardware. I have never been able to get firewire from the STB to work
better than "once in a great while" under FC5, although other firewire
devices such as external hard drives work fine. If it were not for my HD
Homerun, I wouldn't have HD in MythTV at all. I have a project in the
works to upgrade my backend to F8 (and a newer kernel), but since I have
to take the backend out of service to work on it, it's hard to find any
time and my progress has been slow.

--Greg